Sunday, January 27, 2019

When it rains, it pours...

I thought this was going to be a nice, relaxing weekend at home with the family. We had a wonderful birthday celebration for my sister-in-law yesterday. Dad was able to attend and had a good time.


Today started off well, then it all went a little downhill. Caden went to see if a neighbor friend could play. When he closer to her house he heard a lot of yelling, cursing, and screaming. He asked what was wrong and his friend’s mom started asking Caden to help her. She said the guy with her had been keeping her in the house since 6:30 this morning and wouldn’t let her leave. Caden said she got in the car and the guy started banging on the car screaming, “Give me the cigarettes. Give me that money!”

At this point, Caden told the guy he needed to back off. The guy started yelling at Caden and told him he was no longer welcome there and he better never come back to their house. The woman yelled back that Caden could still go there and screamed, “CJ, help me!”

Caden ran back towards our house. While headed this way, another friend of theirs started yelling, “They’re going inside! They’re going inside!” The other friend said that the man started yelling, “Get back here before I kill you!” I have no idea if he meant my 10-year old son or the woman, but no matter which one it was, I could not sit idly by.

After conferring with Mom and Dad, I drove around the block so I  would have the exact address to be able to call the police for help. As I drove past the house, I noticed the driver car door and trunk of the car were open, but no one in sight. I called the police and explained what was going on and asked them to check it out. The dispatcher replied that she had several vehicles en route.

I was going to go to the store near their house so I could make sure if the man left that I could at least say what direction he had gone. By the time I got in my car and started backing out of the driveway, there were already three sheriff’s deputies there! Less than five minute response time from the time I hung up the phone. I turned off the car and walked down the street to where Caden and another friend were playing. We noticed the dog of the family involved running down the street. The boys said that the dog is not normally allowed to run loose. We got the dog and headed to our house with her.

After a while, one of the deputies came to our house to get a statement from Caden. The deputy said the man was being arrested. There was evidence of a huge argument in the home with broken items strewn around the living area. He then asked if we had a rope or leash so he could get the dog back to her home. Mom found a leash in the house and we started trying to leash the dog. She headed around the back of our house and Mom followed. Mom got the leash on the dog and headed back towards the front of the house.

Suddenly, the dog saw Target, our declawed Maine Coon, and started growling. I believe Target thought the dog was growling at Mom. Target then attacked the dog and the dog took off running with Mom still holding the leash. Mom had the leash on her wrist instead of just in her hand. She was yanked along and fell hard to the ground. When she landed, the leash finally came off her wrist and the dog took off. The deputy saw it happening but was unable to get to her in time to prevent it.

Mom landed very hard on her right side with the impact on her ribs and right wrist. She also hit her head right in the middle of her forehead. We called an ambulance right away.

After head, neck, and chest CT scans and X-rays of her wrist, we got the good news that there are no broken bones. They gave her some morphine for the pain. Just a few minutes after the morphine was administered, she began having a reaction to it. You could see the red rash spreading up her arm and she said it itched really bad. They gave her Benadryl and told her she would never be given morphine again. The itch and rash have subsided and she’s been discharged. They said she’ll be sore for a few days.

She's home and resting now.

And now, I get to continue trying to convince Caden that none of this is his fault. He believes this is his fault because if he hadn't said anything to us, "the cops wouldn't have come, the dog wouldn't have gotten out, and Grandma wouldn't have gotten hurt."

The deputy, Grandpa, Grandma and I have all told Caden he did the right thing and none of this is his fault. The only person at fault is the man who decided to abuse Caden's friend's mom with Caden near enough to see and hear it. I have taught Caden that we do not allow bullying. When someone asks for help, we give it. When he see bullying taking place, he should step in or tell a trusted adult. He did all those things. I could not be more proud of him than I am right now. That woman is still alive and is safe (for now) because Caden stepped up and helped. Please pray his friend's mom has the strength to stay away from that man, whoever he may be. Next time, there may be no one around to help.

Angel

Kitty - February 2017



No comments:

Post a Comment