Tuesday, March 25, 2014

3 Years

I've been doing a lot of remembering today. I'm enjoying "most" of the memories. As I look through pictures of Caleb's earlier years, I laugh at some of my favorite pictures of him. The pics from his last 6 months are the hard ones to see. He changed so very much during that time because of the steroids that it hardly seems possible that it was the same little boy.



 It feels odd to sum up his life in 18 pictures. But pictures are are the only tangible evidence of his existence. People who never met him will only ever know about him through pictures and the stories we tell about him.

I started the morning using the "On This Day" feature in FaceBook to look back at my newsfeed from 2011. As one can imagine, I was kinda preoccupied that day. I was so surprised to see how many people posted about Caleb that day and asked for prayers for our family as we were going through the most difficult day of our lives. It's three years later and today I saw much of the same thing. It's good to see that he is not forgotten and has had an impact on others. He meant so much to so many people. We all mourn his passing.

We have started a tradition of sending 5 gold balloons to Caleb twice a year - his birthday and his angelversary. When we did our balloon release for Caleb's 8th birthday, Caden had a really hard time with it. Richard and I began talking to him a couple weeks in advance of today to remind him what we are doing and why. He told us, "I don't want to release balloons. I don't want you to release balloons. I don't even want to see it if you do."

We decided to get 6 balloons this year (5 gold and 1 blue) so that Caden could keep at least one balloon. Then we told him we would each take two balloons to send Caleb, but Caden had the choice to release one, both, or none. He chose not to release his balloons. Since we gave him the option, he did much better this year.

We love you, Caleb.
 ===========
We still miss Caleb every moment of every day. He is always in our hearts, always in our thoughts, and is loved today, tomorrow, in ALL ways to infinity and beyond.

Angel, Richard & Caden

No comments:

Post a Comment